Tuesday, October 6, 2009

New York part 1

We survived our first family vacation!

This past week Daniel, Jackson and I took a trip to New York state to visit my father's side of the family. More specifically, we went to visit my grandparents and my aunt and uncle. Danny and I had been twice since we've been married and love going up there. The weather is nice (usually) and it's just so different from Texas. It was on our trip last year that we suspected I was pregnant with Jack. Looks like we were right!

Anyway, to say I was nervous in the days and weeks before the trip would be an understatement. I was weight down buy all the logistics concerning the trip; Do I pack diapers and food or buy them there? How much should I pack for the plane? How many changes of clothes should I bring, how many toys, how many book? And on and on...through many sleepless nights. Then I got into research mode, asking advice from all friends who have traveled with babies and doing much googling. After all that I felt a little better but still not mentally or emotionally prepared for what I had built up in my mind as what would be the most exhausting week of my life. Then I prayed, a lot. I prayed that we would have safe travel, that our luggage would not get lost, that Jack would do ok on the plane and so on and so on.

God truly answerd our prayers on this trip. We had a great time and Jack was the most amazing traveler. He never cried once on the plane rides. Got fussy only when tired or hungry and kept his cool with two flight delays on our return home. He blew our minds, we never expected him to do so well! People all around us remarked about how happy he was and what a wonderful flier he turned out to be. We were truly blessed. I think between the two of us I was the more fussy due to being airsick and tired ; ).

So we are home now and more or less back on our regular schedule. Jack did have a few night wakings while in New York where he had to be nursed or rocked back to sleep. He was teething and I also think he was a little freaked out when he woke in the middle of the night and was not in his crib. So becuase of that little hiccup he is still waking up alot earlier than normal and we are slowly getting him back into the routine of sleeping till 6:30/7:00. We had a good time but returning from out trip really made us appreciate that there's no place like home. Even Jack seemed genuinely excited to his toys and his room, it was adorable.

Check back soon for pictures!

2 comments:

Sarah and Eric said...

So glad the trip went well. Glad you weren't one of those parents with a screaming baby on an enclosed plane!

Lora said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time on your vacation and that Jack was such a great traveler!