Monday, July 13, 2009

Wow! Jack is 5 months old!

Jackson was 5 months old last Thursday. This has been whirlwind of a month in so many ways. Jackson has changed a great deal in such a short amount of time.

The biggest change has been sleep. Since we posted last we hit a brick wall in our sleep time routine, both bed time and nap time. I was nursing Jack to sleep every nap and at bed time. I was pretty happy with this plan, it was working and he was sleeping. It was very time consuming but I thought it would only last a few months and he'd learn to go to sleep on his own. Boy, was I wrong. One night the nursing wasn't working, daddy rocking wasn't working, none of the trick up our sleeve were working. In an instant I said to Daniel it's time to cry it out or Ferberize this baby. Daniel was pretty shocked I was willing to do it, but I was desperate! I''ll spare you all the nitty gritty details, let's just say with in 2 1/2 days my little guys was going to sleep on his own for all naps and bedtime with minimal fussing or crying! Our lives have changed! Daniel and I now eat dinner together. I'm able to leave the house with out worrying if he'll be able to sleep with out me. It's been wonderful!

Now on to other stuff. Jack is rolling over now but not consistently. He seems content to chomp on his arm during tummy time or just look around. I'm getting frustrated :). He is sitting up really well in his Bebepod seat (like a bumbo) and this is where we have been feeding him. A highchair will be our next purchase but I just can't decide which one to buy and I'm overwhelmed with online reviews. If you have a recommendations I love to hear about it!

Speaking of feeding, we started rice cereal a few weeks ago and have also introduced bananas and applesauce. He really likes it and gets a little serving in the morning and right before bath time at night. Jack has really learned to use his voice and is making all sorts of grunts, high pitched squeals, and general babbles. He thinks Daniel is hilarious and those two have a ball together before bedtime. That seems to be when he is most excitable and will laugh at anything Daniel says or does.

Jackson has also officially made his debut into society. We have joined a play group on meetup.com and have our first date this week at a coffee house in Round Rock. Jack has also been to many lunch dates over the past month and does so well out in public. We are right in the middle of a big teething spell and being out and about usually distracts him from the discomfort of teething and also gives mom a break from the whining and fussing associated with cutting those first teeth.

4 comments:

kkmcdavid said...

Frances, he's precious! I check for updates all the time - keep them coming! I'm glad he is sleeping better. Richard Ferber is my hero. Seriously.

About highchairs...we got the Chicco highchair and really liked it, but it took up a lot of space in our small kitchen/dining area. We ended up getting this booster seat, and he's been using it for a while.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553506

Glad to hear all is well with your sweet little boy!

Kim P. said...

I'm so glad the sleeping part is going better for all of you! That makes things so much nicer for everyone, especially now that you can leave him without worrying so much. Yay! You're welcome to join our Thursday lunch group anytime.

We got our high chair for $10 at a garage sale. Probably 5 years old, but works great for us! Sorry I'm sure they don't sell it anymore..haha

Sarah and Eric said...

I am so glad to have met the little guy! He really already looks so much older. What a sweetie. Let's do lunch again soon!

Unknown said...

We got the Chicco Polly Highchair. It takes up space when open, but also folds down very easy. Here is a similar chair on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Polly-High-Chair-Miro/dp/B001OD6YSE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1248663670&sr=8-2